Help Heal Musculoskeletal Issues
Massage therapy is the action of applying pressure to and manipulating muscles and soft tissue in the body. There are some forms of massage geared specifically towards the needs of athletes but it is popularly used to treat muscle “knots” that cause symptoms elsewhere in the body. Overall, however, it is commonly used to help manage a health condition and enhance well-being. Massage therapy has a long history of being used to treat pain, and while Western and Eastern cultures practice massage therapy differently, it has been studied to help a number of different physical and mental ailments. Our massage therapists are more than knowledgeable and experienced to provide you with effective, beneficial, and soothing pain management.
A Relaxing Treatment With Lasting Benefits
Benefits of massage therapy
Have you ever woken up from a long sleep with pain in your neck or back? Have you ever left work with a tight pain in your neck, shoulders, or upper back? Massage therapy may be your answer. Since its benefits have been popularized, it can be found in a number of different clinics, doctor’s offices, businesses, and even airports, allowing you to find physical and mental relaxation anywhere you are. Massage therapy increases circulation, reduces stress, relieves anxiety, promotes relaxation, and relieves tension, among other things. People who are in need of a release or have been injured and have muscle or nerve tissue damage can benefit tremendously. It can be used in conjunction with other treatments to improve your overall well-being and enhance your state of being. Studies have shown that massage therapy also helps with:
- Anxiety – Therapeutic massages have been used for thousands of years to help treat stress and anxiety. A deep massage can help break down the build-up of toxins and waste in muscles and can soothe aches and pains that are disruptive to daily life. Massage therapy relaxes your body, eases tension, reduces anxiety, and helps restore balance and harmony to your body.
- Sports injuries – sports massage helps to alleviate tissue injuries stemming from overextension of muscles or strenuous training and physical activity. Further, it can even help to improve flexibility and mobility. Massage therapy can be beneficial for athletes with delayed-onset muscle soreness.
- Headaches – Many headaches are intensified by accompanied neck pain. Since massage therapy helps relieve muscle tension and improve blood flow, it can help relieve the tension and pain from vascular headaches.
- Digestive disorders – Treating digestive issues is done by applying external pressure to the abdomen and massaging the affected area, thus stimulating movement in the digestive tract. Digestive massage techniques also increase the metabolism of nutrients and antioxidants through the release of enzymes. Your body is also able to metabolize faster, which helps it flush out toxins and allows for digestion to work at its optimal level.
- Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that can be characterized by its chronic pain, memory problems, mood changes, and fatigue. Massage therapy encourages circulation in the muscles, which, in turn, helps to increase the flow of nutrients throughout the body and helps eliminate waste. Massage therapy also reduces the heart rate, relaxes muscles, increases the production of your body’s natural painkillers, and improves your joint’s range of motion.
- Temporomandibular joint pain – In a 2003 study, researchers found that massage was rated one of the most common and most helpful in complementary and alternative medicine for patients treating temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMJ. Massage therapy is used for both relieving and controlling pain from TMJ. When paired with other treatments, it can be extremely beneficial.
Benefits of hot stone healing
At Body of Beverly Hills Wellness, we also incorporate the use of hot stone healing in our massage therapies. In this technique, which involves smooth, heated stones, uses the localized heat from the stones to relax the muscles, allowing the massage therapist to apply more pressure to the area without causing pain for discomfort. Among several of the hot stones we like to use include jade, amethyst, and tourmaline. These stones all provide different natural healing abilities, including:
- Jade – Jade is a beautiful green mineral rock that is thought to have many healing powers, and helps gather wisdom and helps one see their true self while discarding negativity. The mineral rock is strongly based in healing and is thought to have abilities in healing and curing ailments in the entire body, as well as supporting emotional healing.
- Amethyst – In addition to being a stunning mineral stone, the amethyst is known for having powers to stimulate and soothe the mind and emotions. It helps in transmuting energy into love and protects the user from harm.
- Tourmaline – This unique and beautiful rock helps to promote inspiration and happiness in addition to reducing fear and building self-confidence. It is also used to balance yin-yang energies, making the user feel more balanced. It also energizes and balances the chakras and is considered a physical bridge to the spiritual.
Of course, you do not have to opt for the hot stone healing — a massage will benefit you just as well! If you would like to find out more about our hot stone healing services or would like to set up an appointment, contact us today!