Chiropractic refers to and emphasizes your body’s natural ability to heal itself, avoiding unnecessary drugs and treatments to maintain optimal health. Chiropractic care is a preventative technique used to take conservative care of spine-related and joint issues. Contrary to what most people might believe, however, chiropractic care includes more than just adjustments, also including soft-tissue therapies, nutritional advice, fitness coaching, and lifestyle recommendations. Chiropractors, those who practice chiropractic care, perform spinal manipulations using their hands and other alternative treatments. The theory behind manually aligning the body’s musculoskeletal structure is that the body will be able to heal itself and will restore mobility to joints that have been injured by traumatic events, like falling or sitting without proper back support.
Let Your Body Heal Itself
What Chiropractic Entails
If all you think of when you think about chiropractic is someone bending your joints in a certain way to pop and crack the joints, you’re not wrong…. Well, not entirely. Chiropractors do more than that! Once you and your chiropractor have developed a management plan, treatment can begin and chiropractors will use specific, controlled, and applied pressure or stretching to a joint area to help restore proper function and mobility. Injuries that come from accidents, falls, and overexertion of the body can impact your tissues and nervous system. If you do nothing to treat the injury, then the injury will be more susceptible to developing chronic problems. Chiropractic adjustments do more than just “pop” your joints, it also helps reduce pain, increase movement, and improve performance.
Why You Might Want to Consider Chiropractic
One of the most common reasons that someone would see a chiropractor is to treat lower back pain. Spinal manipulation and other chiropractic can have other huge benefits, including:
- A boost in your immune system – The nervous system, the immune system, and the endocrine system — which is the collection of glands that regulate metabolism, growth and development, sleep, mood, and more — are all linked together, so if you make adjustments to one, you make adjustments to the other! They are inextricably linked together, reflecting changes made after a chiropractic adjustment. For example, several types of immune system cells show an increase in biological activity after chiropractic adjustments. Further, during an influenza epidemic, patients who underwent chiropractic care had a higher rate of survival.
- Improved sleep – Those dealing with lower back pain, or LBP, have trouble sleeping due to discomfort. Spina adjustments can dramatically improve this condition as well as help improve blood flow, which also helps to improve sleep. Chiropractors focus on correcting misalignments in the spine which puts the body back in balance and helps it rest. No matter if it’s neck pain, back pain, or headaches, you may want to consider a chiropractic adjustment to get some shuteye.
- Assistance in Dealing With Migraines and Headaches – Spinal manipulation may be an effective treatment for relieving tension headaches that originate from neck pain. A report in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics showed that chiropractic care and spinal manipulation improves migraine and cervicogenic headaches. Besides spinal and chiropractic discomfort, however, some triggers of headaches and migraines originate from environmental stimuli, like noises, stress, and light, as well as behaviors, like changes in blood sugar or excessive exercise. The greatest majority of headaches, however, are caused by tension in the neck and muscle tension in the upper back and scalp, causing your head to physically ache.
- Improvement in Sports Performance – Chiropractors are commonly used in professional sports to help with back pain as well as the overall condition of the players. Chiropractic care also helps improve performance by preventing the pulling of muscles and limb injuries. Athletes rely on chiropractic care because they need every bit of strength and speed their body can muster. Spinal alignments cause stress in pain-sensitive joints, muscles, discs, and ligaments, and chiropractic care has been shown to reduce pain and restore normal function more than other medical options. Chiropractic care has been shown to help relieve pain from a number of injuries, like back and shoulder injuries, knee and ankle injuries, elbow injuries, and groin injuries. Incorporating chiropractic into sports routines helps reduce and prevent injuries and also reduces recovery times for injuries.
- Improves Digestive Function – Chiropractic care is extremely beneficial for treating digestive-related issues, as our digestive system is linked to our nervous system. The thoracic and lumbar regions of the spine control the pace at which your body digests food, and if any of the nerves in your spine are functioning irregularly, problems with your digestive system can easily arise. Further, stress and strain coming from a misaligned spine interrupts your spine’s ability to send necessary signals to your digestive organs, negatively affecting their ability to work regularly. Thus, aliments such as chronic acid reflux and constipation develop. Chiropractic care can gently and safely correct these subluxations, or minor to severe spine misalignments, helping these digestive issues subside.
- Encourages Tissue Regeneration – Soft tissue injuries can form for several different reasons, but if not treated, they can all cause chronic pain and instability. Some of the injuries can arise from not warming up or cooling down after workouts, not allowing your injuries enough time to recover, or not getting enough training for a sport. Soft tissue injuries can occur in your blood vessels, nerves, tendons, and fascia, and can form of contusions, sprains, strains, tendonitis, and more. But how can chiropractic help? Your chiropractor has the expertise to create a recovery plan for your injury, which may require limited movement or gentle movement and manipulation. Chiropractors will help to increase the mobility of your injury to allow for faster healing and alleviation from the pain. Special exercises taught to you by your chiropractor will also help you gain strength, balance, and a greater range of motion. Don’t neglect soft tissue problems, even if the pain has subsided. Unresolved pain or soft tissue injuries create long-term impacts on your mobility and pain levels.
If you are suffering from chronic issues, nerve pain, or lower back pain, then contact Body of Beverly Hills Wellness to find a chiropractor that will best cater to your recovery needs! We are certified to use the Impulse IQ chiropractic instrument and we are the only Elite CFR chiropractic firm in LA to perform cutting-edge cranial adjustment techniques. Call us now to set up an appointment!